He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Monday, January 10, 2011

What's worse?

I asked some Minnesota natives the other day, "what's worse, cold weather or bugs?".
Considering, those are probably the two most talked about complaints over living in Minnesota.
Patty says bugs. Dave says cold weather. Two very legitimate answers.
Let's break this down further:
On one hand, you've got bugs. They are annoying in so many ways. They buzz around, sometimes near your face which is very annoying. They get into places where they are not wanted, like the kitchen, or the bedroom. They are capable of poisoning your food. They are very ugly. When they die in your house, you have to clean up their upsidedown corpses. Overall, (in my opinion) they are just gross.
On the other hand, I cannot recall any time that someone has ever told me they "like" cold weather.
They can tolerate it. But........... you can also tolerate bugs...atleast in the midwest you can. It's not like there are deadly bugs flying around stinging and killing people in Minnesota. Therefore, they are tolerable.
Alright, so what are some negatives about cold weather.....
It doesn't feel good. It's uncomfortable being cold. But if your prepared for it, it's not that bad.
It's costly. If it's cold enough, you're gonna be using a heater or some extra clothing to warm up, no question about that. Cold weather can lead to bad weather conditions, dangerous driving conditions, therefore, a negative quality.
So all in all, two very comparable things to dislike.
In my case, I deal with both. At the same time.
Scott and I are definitely getting a big slice of reality on the prarie homefront. Complete with excessive snow fall for December, temperatures in the negatives, and bugs coming out of the woodworks.
This is no old wives tale. We've learned from Mary that one or two empty food jars placed conveniently near a couple windows can become quite useful.
When a bug is trapped inside for days without food, it becomes weary and confused. Flying desperately into the window to try and escape death. Unfortunately for the bug, we keep our windows closed tightly in the winter to keep the warm air in and the cold air out. So no escaping until Spring. So their fate becomes death, belly up on our window sills and floors. It's really gross. Flies and (ladybug look-alike) asiatic beetles by the hundreds all over our house! I vacuumed up about 40 this morning. And guess what...it's 10 hours later, and I could probably pick up another 30 or so.
A true farm house, right?! Come springtime, I guess I'll find out for myself what's worse, dead bugs all over your house, or live bugs flyin' around your house?
Personally, I think dead bugs are worse than cold weather.
It's much more beautiful outside than it is cold!
Too beautiful to complain.
Plus....crisp, clean, cold air feels great! It makes me feel alive! It definitely wakes me up in the morning....with a little help from coffee of course.
All in all, I want the bugs gone!!! Don't you think a little deadly bug spray around the house would do the trick??? I thought I hinted at it to Mary, she didn't pick it up. She seems surprisingly content with the jar method.


Cold weather? or...



Bugs?


No comments: