He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Crafts and Projects Galore!!

Living in a home versus an apartment is a dream! I know we're still paying rent, but Mary has made every point to make us feel like this is OUR home, not just a rental.
I'm in heaven decorating, remodeling, organizing, cleaning, picking up Scott's clothes all over the house....Okay maybe I'm not ecstatic about the last too. But atleast it means we're living in a house that we care enough about to keep it looking nice, right!!
One of my favorite networks on TV is HGTV. I started off a fan of all the home makeover shows. Design on a Dime, Bang for your buck, Dear Genevieve, and one of my favs Deserving Design. It was a far off dream when I imagined being able to do all my favorite DIY projects in my OWN home.
Now it's reality! I live in this awesome 50's era charming little country house with A LOT of room for improvement. We've started on the cheap and easy fixes by painting and decorating. A light shade of green, a collage of pictures on the wall, and strategically placed knick knacks have really helped define our cozy little cottage.
One of my favorite things are two very special framed silhouettes of Scott and I. Made especially for us by my best friend, Jill. Framed in 2 black, 8x10, distressed, antique"y" looking frames and hanging perfectly on either side of our living room window. Sooooo cute!
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE anything and everything vintage! Aside from the inspirational DIY shows for antiquing and distressing your furniture, one of my other fav shows on HGTV is Property Virgins or My First Place. I love the couples, who are newly married, excited about their new life, proud to buy their first home together,and looking for a smaller scale, cottage-style, fixer-upper with huge potential.  I'm living in one of those homes now!! Our home is a true "antique". Built in the 50's, it still has the original wood flooring (covered up with carpet of course, a future DIY project), a blue bathtub and matching toilet, a cedar closet for winter cloaks, and beautiful glittered popcorn ceiling in every room! (j/k about the "beautiful" part). I like to refer to all these unique findings as "charm". Yes, I've nominated my lovely husband to ceiling scraping and I've mentioned to Mary how great the floors would look without carpet, but it's still character.
Mary is very open to hearing our ideas on home improvements. Sometimes, she even offers to front the bill for our improvements. Scott has yet to experience his first DIY kitchen remodel :) Resurfacing our countertops with new laminate. Good Luck Babe!! (if you've done this facelift before, a little feedback would be appreciated). I've given myself the job of sanding and painting the kitchen cupboards...to be continue'd.
Remember the matching blue tub and toilet I mentioned earlier? I'd like to replace that tub with an antique white procelain tub with the "claw feet" and matching white toilet.
I can dream can't I?
Just getting you ready for some before and after pics to come :)

2 comments:

gramee10 said...

I love this pic, and I am so happy you love nesting and being a domestic goddess! I love you and can't wait to come to Racine again.

The Townsend Family said...

ahhhh me love.