He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Something I MUST share

It's been awhile since I've posted, I know, and I'm sorry.
I'm still in a "funk". Last week my poor husband had to deal with my moody attitude. Luckily he sticks around, leaves me alone when all I do is grunt and complain, and then snuggles me when I am sad.
Quite frankly, he's the best. And every night I lay in bed thanking my Father for him.

Alright, so now that that's outta the way, I simply must share something I discovered today.
It started out a normal morning. Only, this particular morning I woke up very happy. (not something I do very often :)
3 reasons: It's 8 o'clock, which means, I'm not working! Yaaaaaay!!!  It's snowing!! As of now, I'd say we have about 3 inches and growing.  It's a baking cookies kinda day.......That's 3 things, right?
I promised my love I would bake cookies yesterday. And then I blamed him for keeping me on the couch all afternoon and nothing getting baked, hahaha. Today he is working, and I'm off. Which to me, means a productive day. I get nothing done when Scott is home, hence no cookies yesterday.
Baking cookies is productive, but it's fun too. So to even things out, I through in laundry to the "to do" list as well. Laundry's done, and the 4th dozen of cookies is in the oven.
Here's where it's time to pay close attention. On Saturday I picked up white chocolate chips and crumbled chocolate toffee bits for my cookies. I promised my neice Abbi I would make her twix bar cookies for successfully memorizing her propositions. WAY TO GO Abbi!!!!!!! Stewartville's only grocery store, Fairway, didn't have Twix. So I opted for Heath Bar instead.
I got as far as beating the butter and sugars together. Time to add the eggs.....only one problem, I hard boiled all the eggs over the weekend!! I paused, staring into the fridge, wondering what the heck I was going to do. And then it dawned on me. I remembered hearing that certain ingredients when baking, could be substituted with something else in your kitchen.
I ran to the computer, and googled egg substitute......over a hundred websites popped up right away. Thank God! I was hoping for something besides applesauce as a substitute, since I knew I didn't have it. Guess what I found for a not so obvious substitute, but a delicious one at that. Bananas. Now that I have!!!
Who would have thought that a small ripe banana, mashed up to a creamy consistency could act as the "glue", the same way eggs do.
Now, I know the taste between the two ingredients are obviously VERY different. Some may worry. But I absolutely LOVE bananas, ESPECIALLY in baked items. Before deciding on the banana as a substitute, I read on about other possible substitutes, in case there was something better and not as far from eggs as bananas. I found a couple tablespoons of soy milk could also stand in for eggs. Perfect!! I always have soy milk.....oh wait scratch that. I've recently converted to almond milk......could it work just the same??
I'm feeling inventive today:) So I gave it a try.
1 banana, plus 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavored almond milk.
Twenty minutes later....12 minutes of baking time.....8 minutes of cooling time.....I can't wait to taste them!
Words cannot describe the incredible taste of these crispy on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside white chocolate chip banana cookies. You get a slight hint of the banana flavor, not missing the "egg flavor"  (??) at all. What a great way to eliminate the extra cholesterol if you need to. Not that I DO, but I love the moistness the bananas give to the cookies.

Well, another successful batch of baked goodies for my hubby to enjoy. Your welcome Babe. It's all for Love.

No comments: