He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

2nd Day in Racine…1st Day of Snow

I couldn’t believe our timing. I LOVE the snow, and couldn’t wait until I saw our first snowfall. The rain and sleet blowing against the side of the house at 8am this morning woke me up. After only about an hour of sitting talking with my mom in the front sitting room looking out at the beauty of Mary’s property, did the rain turn into snow right before our eyes.

75863 305th street is the most beautiful farm property I have seen thus far in Racine. Racine is a small little town, with other neighboring small towns nearby. Just off hwy 63 is a 3 mile gravel road leading to another gravel road called 305th street. About ½ mile down on the left is a picture perfect white miniature version of 75863. Home Sweet Home. Just a few steps across the driveway is a beautiful white farmhouse, the home of Grandma Mary Porter. The beauty and charm of her home is a mirror image of her sweet disposition.

Just beyond the driveway, which separates the two houses, is an 8 feet by 10 feet (approximately) fenced in garden area raked and ready for next spring’s arrivals. The basement shows evidence of its potential. Shelves upon shelves full of canned green beans, beets, pickled cucumber, carrots, and jams just to name a few. A true farmer living off of the abundance of her garden. Let me tell you…the peaches are as sweet as can be. And the apricot preserves are my favorite…on toast, ice cream….on a spoonJ Reminds me of the sweet peaches and toast my grandpa would make for breakfast for me and my sisters when we were little.

Inside of the shed (interesting name for a container large enough to hold 3 motor homes) holds stacks of hand sawed wood and tree branches Mary worked all summer long on to use as starter kindling for her winter fires. It’s also the home to “Kitty”, a gray cat (obviously) who loves people, watching the birds eat from the feeder in the mornings, and her own little “house” to keep warm in. There’s a tractor lawn mower to cut back acres of overgrown grass and a snow blower closed in with plastic to keep warm while clearing the driveway. Scott will be getting his practice on that sooner than later I believe! Grandma Mary has already given him his driver’s training course on icy/snowy roads. Which he passed with flying colors by getting us all home safely after a days tour at the Mayowood Mansion in Rochester.

All of the dried up corn fields are covered with a fresh blanket of snow. It’s let up for now, but should continue falling throughout the weekend. I see snow angels and snowmen in my future! I was instructed by my sister to build a snowman for each of my nieces and nephews and dress each one according to that boy or girl. 11 snowmen. I should be finished with that assignment commmmmme February??

Mary has made us feel right at home with her home cooked meals, freshly made coffee every morning, dessert after every lunch and dinner, and Christmas songs played on her organ. She is a sweet grandma, Scott has so many fond memories of growing up with her nearby in Rancho Bernardo, CA. As lovely and inviting her home has been, we are anxious to be in our own. But have learned today we will have to wait another week until we receive all of our boxes and furniture. Booooooo. Tomorrow we will visit the paint store and pick out our colors for living room, bedroom, and two bathrooms. That’s exciting I guess (sorry for the lack of enthusiasm. Rule of Thumb: Don’t ever have high expectations for ANY moving company).
Scott is ready to snuggle. I’m ready for my flannel pajamas….never mind, they are still in Las Vegas staying warm. Tonight I have vino to keep me warmJ Goodnight.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Very very nice Noel. You have a talent for observation and writing.
Your comments about Mary are accurate and very sweet. Glad you are enjoying yourself so far.