He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

YOU bother me

What's so bothersome about Starbucks anyways?
Oh wait, I know. It's the people who hate Starbucks so much they have to gripe about it every time Starbucks is mentioned, that are so bothersome.

I have a personal annoyance with people who gripe and complain about #1 things they have no control over, #2 everything under the sun that involves some sort of inconvenience in their life, and #3 the same crap over and over again, and each time expect me to agree with them. Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in what people have to say about anything in general. Especially if it's something they are passionate about.
But how can you be so passionate about hating Starbucks?? Is it just my personal opinion or is it really an extremely wasteful amount of energy to be so hateful and bothered while smothering uninterested people with your negativity.

There are things that bother me on a day to day basis. Like for example, the other day while I was working at the coffee counter, a woman came in with her two children and proceeded to completely belittle them right in front of me. She seemed so incredibly annoyed by the simplest questions like "Mommy do they have the hot chocolate I like?" Mommy, "No!! This is not the place that has the hot chocolate you want!!" It was sad embarrassing to say the least.
Things like that really bother me, enough to tell someone about it. Oh, and things like germs and bacteria that must be living in the bathroom of the apartment we're renting....But like a superhuman power, I can just erase it from my mind in order to get into the shower. It's gripes like that, that are better left to oneself.

So, what is this issue people seem to have with Starbucks? There is nothing obviously terribly wrong with Starbucks. Each store is responsible for its own potential in being successful; as long as drinks are being made correctly, the store is well kept, and the service is average. I mean, it's a multi-million [billion?] dollar company. They must be doing everything right. Right?

I don't have a personal vendetta for Starbucks the way it seems some people do. I actually overheard a man the other day saying "Starbucks is over there doing....[pause, stutter] terrible things. And our customers deserve to know about it!" He says in a deep low almost whisper, so as not to alarm the customers, but rather grasp their curiosity.
I mean, come on, really??? What "terrible" things is Starbucks doing? Serving rich dark addicting lattes and macchiatos to paying customers who willingly walk in for a morning fix[jolt].

Yeah, I would rather give my business to a small privately owned coffee shop. But if I'm in need(desperate want) of a deliciously rich dark cup of coffee and Starbucks is the closest thing in a 4 block radius, then that's where I'm goin'.

Sure convenience is nice. It's what America is all about, can I get an AMEN! (note sarcasm)
But if I catch a glimpse of a mom n' pop's two blocks away, then I'm trekking those extra 2 blocks past Starbucks to go there instead.
I LOVE coffee. "Hi, my name is Noel, and I'm a coffaholic". And I'm a sucker for a heartwarming and enthusiastic welcome when I walk through someone's door.  Convenience, or rather efficiency, is important of course. But what about good old fashioned morals, ethics and values? It's important to me to know that I'm giving my money to businesses whose standards are set high for the community's benefit, not just their own. Afterall, I, like I assume most Americans, want to live in a thriving community. If a Starbucks is apart of that thriving community, then more power to them and to the people who keep them in business. But Starbucks has a natural following now. I feel it's my duty to contribute to the mom n' pops in my community so as to keep them thriving as well. It's what I would expect others to do for me, had I been the one running my own shop in a thriving community.

Starbucks isn't the bad guy. They're the rich creative entrepreneur of coffeeshops for our generation. So, enough with the vile accusations. As if Starbucks is some new street hooker come to take over the neighborhood corner where all the locals used to hang out. If you don't like rich dark addicting lattes for $5, just shutup and go somewhere else.
Or, if you insist on griping, make it worth while listening to. I'm talking to you "negative nellys".

No comments: