He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Appreciating Snowflakes

A New Year's Resolution......hmmmm. Did you make one? What is it? Against making one? Not me. I vow to make goals this year. My goal is to make goals. I have SO many things I want to do, to accomplish, to see, to own, to write, to create, to love. Things that have been on the list in my mind for a few years now...heck, maybe longer. So, you see, there must be a reason for these things not to be scratched off my list already?!
I have been spending a lot of time recently, in the past few days, maybe longer, in craft stores. Picking up different things I need for my current project. However, most every time I go to Michael's or (my new favorite find...)HobbyLobby, I forget something I need because I'm too busy day dreaming and wandering around aimlessly. Today, in Michael's, I was day dreaming about my list. Wondering to myself why these things have remained on my list for so long.
And then.....it occured to me. I was watching Julie/Julia last night for the second time. The first time I saw it, it inspired me. Julie realized she needed to set a deadline for herself if she was going start a new blog about cooking. She never accomplished anything she wanted to do because she would give up, or lose interest, or it would interfere with other things in her life. Basically, the deadline was a rule. It was part of the deal. If she wants to do this one thing, she's got to stick to the rules. "I have to accomplish it by: (said date)".
It inspired me because, I love to cook, I love to write, I love Blogs!! (Hahaha) I want to be a great cook someday. I love cooking, and baking. I do both a lot, but not as much as I should if want to be great at it.
You get the idea. Anyways, I'm setting goals for the things on my list. One at a time that is. Alright, here's my first goal: I am required to write atleast one new post on my blog by next Wednesday. Due date is next Wednesday. Then on Wednesday, I will set another goal.
There....it's officially in writing.
I also thought a great new year's resolution for anybody was....... appreciating snowflakes. A lot of people in Minnesota complain about the snow. Probably because they are tired of having to deal with the extra chores that come up whenever it snows. I can understand that. But the actual complaining I disagree with. It started snowing today while I was working. I casually looked out the window and saw big chunks of snow falling gracefully to the ground. It was beautiful. Smiling, I turned and said "It's snowing!" to my coworker. He frowned, and said "I know". How can you complain about something so beautiful? I asked. A snowflake is a perfect delicately carved out piece of ice, different from any other snowflake. Close up, it's pretty amazing to look at. And just seeing millions of them falling from the sky is just as amazing! Later, he told me I convinced him to appreciate snowflakes more often. I agreed it was a perfect new year's resolution. Every time you appreciate a snowflake, you'll have accomplished that goal, ready to make a new one. YES!