He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stressmas, Crazymas, Christmas

Does anyone else get a little stressed about gift buying...or in my case gift making?? Rather than accept that there just isn't enough money in the bank account to be buying lovely Christmas gifts, I spent the past 2 weeks trying to figure out what I could do/make for my family's gifts. At the last possible second to have a gift wrapped, packed and shipped in time to arrive for Christmas, I decided on something that is not necessarily creative in an artistic way, but if finding a way to provide one gift for 10 nieces and nephews, a sister, a sister-in-law, and 2 sets of parents while spending VERY little (I'm talking like under $50...total) is not creative, well then I'm doomed in ever becoming an artist.

I spent approximately 10-12 hours total, in a row, with a few naps in between, and some snack breaks figuring out my handmade gifts. And I would be aweful if I didn't give great mention to Grandma Mary for enduring backbreaking work while helping me finish make my gifts in time to arrive on Christmas morn. We worked long and hard to get everything just "perfect". They wouldn't be perfect if they never made it to the mailbox by Saturday at the latest. I never felt stressed until 3pm saturday afternoon when I found out that everything had to be in and marked as parcel by 3:30pm. Talk about waiting until the last minute! Which I know I may be famous for.

Well, I did it. The parcels aren't guaranteed delivery by Christmas, but I noticed a little twinkle in the post lady's eye when she told me this, and it made me believe that I had nothing to worry about. When I walked out of the post office, I almost skipped and shouted for joy that this nightmare...I MEAN this special handmade gift giving time...was over.
My moral of the story:  I've realized I have to plan ahead if I am ever going to give gifts again!

3 comments:

HR Gutierrez said...

I am so excited to see your hand made gifts & I know they'll be a hit! I always want to make my gifts too, but don't actually think of it till about 2 weeks before Christmas, in which case I say, ok next year I'll start in July. And every year, I forget! Kudos to you for actually making it work. Love u Ouie!!

HR Gutierrez said...

The pillow cases were soooooo cute! You should get your own machine & start experimenting & making new things!!

Live a Unique Life said...

This is the sweetest. And that picture is awesome! :)